One of the juiciest, luscious and refreshing summer fruit is watermelon. With a green outer covering and inner red juicy flesh, this fruit is 92% water and that makes it naturally low-fat. A medium sized bowl provides just 40 calories.
- Its red color is due to lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which reduces oxidative stress and thus helps in cardiovascular health.
- A good source of potassium that helps to lower body temperature and blood pressure and thus having plenty in summers prevents heat stroke.
- A great natural electrolyte which helps nerve and muscle actions.
- Contains amino acid Citrulline which has shown to reduce the accumulation of fat in the body.
- A wonderful source of B-carotene which helps to maintain healthy eyes and skin.
- Rich in fiber giving a healthy digestive tract.
- A great anti-cancer fruit owing to high vitamin-C content and lycopene, both powerful antioxidants.
Caution: Have this fruit during afternoon or morning only. Don’t have it at night as it leads to bloating and water retention during the later part of the day. Also, having in excess results in high potassium levels which result in hyperkalemia.
Teepz: Have it in salad form along with tomatoes and bell peppers or make a juice or smoothie with mint leaves and a dash of lemon.